This is healthy, delicious comfort-food, that event the children relish eating! A proper alternative to the Sunday roast.
Sausage and Lentil Casserole recipe
You will need:
- 1 onion, chopped into wedges
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 4 small carrots
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 150g dried puy lentils
- 200ml fiesty red wine (bordeaux or burgandy)
- 500ml chicken stock, from a cube
- 8 low-fat pork sausages
- 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- Spray a flame-proof casserole dish with the cooking spray and fry the veg over a medium heat for about 10 minutes, until softened.
- Add the wine and let bubble, then add the stock and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile wash the lentils in cold water, then cover in a pan with cold water. Bring to the boil, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Spray a frying pan with cooking spray and fry the sausages until browned.
- Drain the lentils and add to the vegetable mixture with the sausages and tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil, and cook in the oven at 150°C for 1 hour and 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, and adding water if the lentils look dry.
- Alternatively, once bubbling transfer to a slow cooker and cook on medium for around 5-6 hours.
We served this with steamed savoy cabbage. It all went, and seconds were requested! Result!
I’m linking this post to Romanian Mum’s Foodie Friday, where you will find a whole host of meaty recipes!