Take a deep breath, and jump into the blue!

Jumping in

This time last year, the Bug was afraid of water. The weekly swimming lesson had to be tackled with a careful blend of patience, encouragement, tear-immunity, and McFlurry promises. If we could get him into the water without a tear falling, it would be brilliant; if the grumbling was allowed to take hold, an inconsolable wreck would be handed back 15 minutes later.

So an element of trepidation hooked up with us as we hit the swimming pool on our Siblu holiday last July. We needn’t have worried:

(Do watch to the end of this video; if you don’t have 5 minutes, I suggest skipping to the last 2 minutes – you will split your sides).

All it took was a deep breath, and that first jump! And my reason for telling you this? Blogging conferences are coming up soon, and as usual, lots of newer (and some not so new, that might surprise you) bloggers are sending out nervous tweets about meeing up “in real life.” Some truly lovely people are too nervous to come along to Blog Summit, and to BritMums Live.

Nervous? Take a deep breath, and jump into the blue!

Two years ago Mummy had been blogging for all of 6 weeks when she won her ticket to Cybermummy. She was nervous, she knew no-one there, and she was terrified. She painted on a smile, sqeezed into her best dress, and jumped. She smiled at strangers, and within minutes was approached by Caroline and Mari. They were lovely, and it was a start.

A start which eventually led to her gaining confidence in the great big pool of Parent Bloggers, attending more events, and culminating this year with an invite to speak at BritMums Live. More nerves? Of course. But nerves can be overcome. Nerves can serve you well; they make you perform, they inspire you to make the best of yourself. Nerves lead to tentative greetings with people who become friends.

"Britmums Live"

Images courtesy of MotherScuffer

So jump right in. Grab your nerves firmly by the hand and seek out this lady – she will probably pour you wine (if she hasn’t consumed it all herself)!

We are being sponsored to attend BritMums Live by Siblu Holidays, who provided my brother with the perfect setting to conquer his nerves.

So, will we see you there?

Some bloggers who have conquered the fear:
Nickie
Alyson

Nominations are now open for the 2013 MAD Blog Awards. I was delighted to win the Best Schooldays category last year, all down to my lovely readers. I’d love to be in with a chance again this year, so if you’d like to give me a nomination click here to enter my blog address http://www.actuallymummy.co.uk You can nominate in any category but I think my best chance is in Best Family Fun, Best Schooldays, or Most Entertaining.

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous, Photography, Travel, Travel Reviews, Videos and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Take a deep breath, and jump into the blue!

1. Damson Lane says:

That is fantastic! You will be a fab speaker. I am so annoyed with myself as I booked our holiday before checking the dates and I’ll be away during Britmums Live so I will miss you. Next year I will check before I book!
    Damson Lane recently posted..Gardening with Kids: Explore, Discover and GrowMy Profile

2. OMG! speaking at Britmums!
    *curtsies in presence of blogging greatness*
    PS I promise not to heckle (much)
    fivegoblogging recently posted..ArtMy Profile

Love this post and the video is just hiliarous. Will be seeing you at Blog Summit (if you’re in Birmingham) and at BritMums. Must book train and hotel!!!
    Charly Dove recently posted..Team Honk does #goodworkMy Profile

4. I watched the whole thing and was splitting my sides well before the last two minutes! Absolutely brilliant analogy with the conferences and thrilled to see you are speaking at Britmums. Congratulations. I will definitely try to attend your session!
    Anya from Older Single Mum and The Healer recently posted..How to Make a Perfect Carbonara Sauce.My Profile

5. That is sooooooooooo funny! What a cheeky Bug! Love it!

Oh and now I want to go to Britmums and see you speak! Congratulations – that’s amazing!
    Rebecca English recently posted..Create An Inside Winter WonderlandMy Profile

6. Grenglish says:

Oh I love that video so much! I watched all the way through and was cracking up watching the Bug jump in and out of the pool. Too funny.
    I will definitely be at Britmums Live this year and really excited to hear you speak – are you allowed to say what your session is on?
    Lastly – for anyone reading this who is feeling nervous about attending the conference, I can vouch that Actually Mummy is one of the friendliest bloggers there can ever be and she most definitely will pour you wine…
    xx
    Grenglish recently posted..Twitter: To Block or Not To BlockMy Profile

7. mummysallygg says:

What a timely post! A blogging friend (who has a lot more experience than me!) just asked me the other day if I was planning on going to Britmums Live. As I’ve only been blogging seriously for just over a month, I hadn’t even considered it, thinking I would be out of my depth and wouldn’t know anyone. But reading this has made me realise, perhaps it could be the best thing I could do – especially to meet some of these wonderful bloggers in real life (and bow down at the altar of greatness ;o) )! I will start to think more seriously about coming!
    Brilliant video!
    mummysallygg recently posted..SEO Basics Lesson OneMy Profile

• Mummy... says:

Oh do come! You won’t regret it. It is nerve-wracking when you’re new, and some people will seem to give you the brush-off, but it won’t be that, it’s just they know so many people, and so many people they need to catch up with that they never see from year to year. But still others you will click with, and make firm friends. It makes such a difference to your online friendships and community too, when you get back. It really steps up your interaction online and your readership. Plus it’s a fabulous day out!

8. Notmyyearoff says:

Oh wow you’re speaking, well done!!! I’m at Britmums this year! :)
    Notmyyearoff recently posted..A Postcard From Ghana – Comic ReliefMy Profile

9. Congratulations – how exciting – a lot can happen in a year can’t it?

10. pinkoddy says:

Having meet you I can’t imagine that you could have ever been nervous lol.
    Oooooh speaking at Britmums – well done you and good luck.
    You forgot Best Writer too – but least you’ve given me some chance haha.

I am glad your little boy conquered his fear. We found a holiday (Disneyland Paris) is what stopped our 5 year old (then 3) stopped being scared of jumping in – and that was because he could do it gradually (water levels started lower and had lots of gradual increasements). Again there are a lot of smaller or local blogger gatherings if people don’t feel like they can jump straight in at the deep end.
    pinkoddy recently posted..Silent SundayMy Profile

11. Mumof2 says:

I am glad I stopped by! I took the jump and am going to Britmums and know nobody. So quite nervous yes but still excited to go.
    Mumof2 recently posted..To chip or not to chip?My Profile

12. Mumof2 says:

Mumof2 recently posted..To chip or not to chip?My Profile

13. Mumof2 says:

I am so glad I stopped by! I took the plunge and am going to Britmums this year and am a bit nervous as I don’t know anyone but still excited.
    Mumof2 recently posted..To chip or not to chip?My Profile

14. Carol says:

Ah the old McFlurry promise, I see I’m not the only one then.

15. Oooh thanks for the heads up about the conferences – I’ll check them out! This newbie needs to go out into the real world and make some blogger chums in the flesh….
    Nell @ the Pigeon Pair and Me recently posted..Nominate Pigeon Pair and Me for a MAD blogger award!My Profile

16. Emily says:

Can’t wait to hear Mummy speak at BritMums, sure she’ll be great – as lond as she hasn’t lost her voice ;)
    Emily recently posted..Monday Music…My Profile

17. I’m going on a museum day trip today with Red Rose Mummy – that doesn’t count does it…. :D

18. Pingback: BritMums Carnival: Summer Holiday Fun | Mummy Alarm

19. I’ve recently made the shift from business blogging to starting a personal blog, and yes, I will most definitely be at BritMumsLive next year. I look forward to meeting so many fellow bloggers!
    Natalie | One Busy WAHM recently posted..To Me, From MeMy Profile

20. Pingback: Why I MUST take my family skiing! #MarkWarnerMum | Actually Mummy...