Give Me 5 Minutes, I’ll Give You The Truth About Book Editors

Wot So Funee?Hi all, Bug here. I don’t often write on the blog; I don’t often write at all – it’s not my favourite think. So when my first book came home in my folder of accomplishments from my year 1 work, Mummy was surprised to find my first book in there, complete with front cover and jacket blurb. I’ll admit it’s an epic achievement. I pulled out all the stops, avoided sticks for an age (!), and applied myself to my writing.

Mummy was so impressed she published it. She edited it first – she so missed her rightful career, that one! Click through the slides to read my first book.

The truth about book editors:

At the end of the day, it’s simple. Editors want something that will sell. They will change whatever you write, no matter how perfect it is – secretly I think they are frustrated writers themselves. But here’s the thing: what sells is heartstring-tuggers. Emotion, and the sensation of an impending tear is what makes a book editor happy. I have a feeling all my books will be bestsellers in our house… ;)

Wot So Funee?Now, if you have your own post to link this week, grab the badge code from the sidebar, and click the link below to enter your post – I can’t wait to see what you have! It’s not obligatory, but if you include a link back here in your own post, I’ll return the favour with a tweet-out. If you’re new here you can check out the Wot So Funee? main page for more info.

About The Bug

Beleaguered brother of GG. Managing to hold my own. Just... Full Profile on Google+
This entry was posted in Latest Funee Posts, Miscellaneous, Wot So Funee?. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Give Me 5 Minutes, I’ll Give You The Truth About Book Editors

What a great story from Bug, I love the “very large and obvious full stop”. Hilarious :)
    Charly Dove recently posted..Goldilocks and no bearsMy Profile

2. Fantastic story from The Bug. Thanks to mummy for the interpretation. Particularly like the rampaging knob bit.
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted..Questions: Monks and bad peopleMy Profile

3. Emma says:

I’m sure there is a novel in there.
    Emma recently posted..What children pack for a holiday!My Profile

4. I wonder if there will be a part two to find out if they got out, alive!

I’ve nominated you on the bottom of my post this week for a comp btw x
    Emma The Mini Mes and Me recently posted..The Funny Things Kids Say and Do… CraftsMy Profile

5. what a creative little one you have there i bet we will see awards coming to the Bug in the near future

6. Alex says:

How very funny, I never cease to be amazed by how creative lil ones can be- if only we, as grown ups, could get them in the routine of thinking outside the box for the rest of their lives, rather than putting them in the box, as it often happens.

7. Haha I love it! The full stop is particularly large and obvious :)
    Ruth’s all sorts recently posted..Freddies, roared beans and niblets – wot so funee?My Profile

8. Jaime Oliver says:

Go Bug!! that was a really fantastic story and i must say i am loving the illustrations! xx
    Jaime Oliver recently posted..Fruit Cocktail Joshua Style!My Profile

9. Cathie B says:

I love this so much – she’s got a talent…….. Loving the story – is there a sequel? ;)

10. Gina Caro says:

aww that is so sweet. Can’t wait until we get things like that home from school. I have joined in this week, I hope my post is suited to the linky? Shout at me if it isn’t :-) x
    Gina Caro recently posted..A Four Year Old And His QuestionsMy Profile

11. Emily says:

Wonderful work and did not need editing at all!
    I struggle with this when it comes to homework, do we speak them through how to do it all perfectly (write something for them to copy) or let them make mistakes. Being a perfectionist on the days I decide it’s the latter I just can’t look ;) xx
    Emily recently posted..We’re going on a (fill the blank) hunt…My Profile

12. TK says:

That was a real page-turner, no kidding! Good job, Bug!
    TK recently posted..What does your blog look like on mobile?My Profile

13. JallieDaddy says:

Great writing!
    JallieDaddy recently posted..Climb Every Rope-BridgeMy Profile

14. Great book, very impressed :) Excellent editing too, of course!
    Sara (@mumturnedmom) recently posted..Story of Mum: mums making an exhibition of ourselvesMy Profile

15. Kate Buckley says:

LOVE the title! I’m sure your book would be a bestseller in our house too :)
    Kate Buckley recently posted..Mummy Mugshot #40 – You know you’re a Mummy when…My Profile

16. Pingback: Fashion Advice, Tampons and Big Willies! | life, love and living with boys

i particularly liked that he rampaged towards the door knob. bloody brilliant!
    sarah recently posted..That scowl aint big enough for the both of us! #satcap #funeeMy Profile

18. Hahaha…..that’s excellent, great story with fantastic atmosphere ;)
    Jenny @ The Brick Castle recently posted..Moist Apple Cake ~ Children’s BakingMy Profile

19. pinkoddy says:

Lovely to see Bug adding to the site too – what a clever young man and such fantastic writing.
    pinkoddy recently posted..Battlebox Bear Grylls Dangerous Den Kit Day Out ReviewMy Profile